"Why Finishing Your Antibiotics Is Important – A Kid-Friendly Explanation"
Myrah came home in a dull mood. Her best friend at school had fallen sick and was advised to rest until she finished her antibiotic course. Worried, Myrah asked her elder sister Madiha,
Myrah:“How do antibiotics actually work sis? Do they really fight germs inside our body?”
Madiha: That’s a great question! Think of your body as a big city, and bacteria are like troublemakers causing chaos. Antibiotics are like special police officers who go in and stop them.
Myrah: Oh! So when I take the antibiotic, where does it go first?
Madiha: When you swallow the pill or syrup, it goes into your stomach and then enters your bloodstream. From there, it travels all over your body, searching for the bad bacteria.
Myrah: And how does it stop them?
Madiha: Well, antibiotics have two ways of working. Some antibiotics are like warriors—they attack the bacteria’s walls, breaking them down so they die. Others act like traffic police, stopping bacteria from multiplying so your immune system can take over and clear them out.
Myrah: That sounds cool! So our body and the antibiotics work together to fight the infection?
Madiha: Exactly! Your immune system is like a city’s security team, and antibiotics just give it an extra hand. Once the bacteria are gone, your body gets rid of the leftover antibiotic through urine, sweat, or bile.
Myrah: Oh, so that’s why doctors tell us to drink lots of water when taking antibiotics! But what if I stop taking them once I feel better?
Madiha: That’s a bad ideaa Myrah If you stop too soon, some bacteria might still be alive. These leftover bacteria can become stronger and harder to kill next time. That’s called antibiotic resistance, and it makes infections much harder to treat.
Myrah: Got it! So I should always finish my medicine, even if I feel okay.
Madiha: Absolutely! Also, remember that antibiotics don’t work on viruses, so they won’t help with colds or flu.
Myrah: Thanks, Sis! Now I know how antibiotics help me feel better and why I should use them correctly.
Mom: You’re welcome, Myrah! Always follow the doctor’s advice, and you’ll stay strong and And also now you don't need to feel bad about your friend not coming to school for too long,right!!



Comments
Post a Comment