From Villages to a Bustling City: Kolkata’s History Through Our Eyes


While packing I noticed, Maira seems to be  so excited to visit Kolkata and see her Auntie! But as its.going to be her first visit to the city she don’t know much about the city. And she want to explore more before reaching there."Mom could you share some more information about the city?" asked Myrah.

I replied,"Of course! Kolkata is one of the most amazing cities, full of history and culture. It’s been around for a long time. Did you know it started with three small villages?"

Myrah exclaimed,"Three villages? What were they called?. They were Sutanuti, Kalikata, and Govindapur. In 1690, the British East India Company set up a trading post there, i replied. "Thanks to its location near the Hooghly River, it became a bustling trade center. Over time, these villages merged and grew into the city we now call Kolkata".That’s cool! But why was it so important for trade?Myrah controlling her curiosity asked. "Because of the river, sweetie, i explained! Ships could easily transport goods like spices, silk, and tea. So, it became a major port for the British, and in 1773, Kolkata became the capital of British India. It was a key city for them.

Myrah astonished, "Wow, I never knew that! But what about the people? Were they okay with the British being in charge?"

I answered, " Not really. There were lots of people who were unhappy with British rule. In fact, Kolkata became a center for the Indian freedom movement. Brave leaders like Subhas Chandra Bose, who fought for India’s independence, were from Kolkata. The city became known for its thinkers, writers, and revolutionaries".

Myrah: Subhas Chandra Bose? I’ve heard Auntie mention him! So, did Kolkata play a big role in India’s independence?

I continued keeping in view her interest towards the city, "Yes, definitely! It was a place where many important ideas and movements for freedom started. When India finally gained independence in 1947, Kolkata was no longer ruled by the British. But the city faced some challenges, like when India was divided into two countries—India and Pakistan. Many people from East Bengal, which became part of Pakistan, moved to Kolkata".


Myrah: That must have been hard for the people there. What did Kolkata become after that?

Me : It’s true, it was a tough time. But Kolkata rebuilt itself and grew even more. It became famous for its art, literature, and culture. And let’s not forget, it’s home to the grand celebration of Durga Puja, which is a big part of its identity even today. You’re going to love experiencing that during our visit!

Myrah replied: I can’t wait! So, what will we see in Kolkata now?




I explained further, Well, you’ll see a mix of old and new. There are historic landmarks like the Victoria Memorial, but also modern places like malls and cafes. And of course, we’ll enjoy some delicious food—Auntie is going to make sure we try rasgulla, which Kolkata is famous for!

Myrah: Yum, I love rasgulla! I’m so glad we’re going to visit. Thanks for telling me all this, Mom! It’s so interesting to know how Kolkata became the amazing city it is today.

I replied: You’re welcome, sweetie. Kolkata’s story is full of rich history and vibrant culture. I’m sure Auntie will have even more stories to share when we get there.""


*Have your own Kolkata stories? We’d love to hear them! Drop your thoughts in the comments and let’s keep the conversation going!"





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Why Finishing Your Antibiotics Is Important – A Kid-Friendly Explanation"

. "Ever Wondered Why There Are 60 Seconds in a Minute? Thank the Babylonians!"

"What If Earth Was a Pancake? A Playful Family Chat"